Some group chats are for the fam's eyes only. We get it. That's why your Rooms can be as open or as private as you want them to be!
By default, all new Rooms are set to Open access. What does that mean? Anyone that finds your Room can enter it. All new Rooms have a discoverability setting of "Friends of Friends," too. Friends of Friends Rooms can show up as suggestions for second-degree connections.
Want to get cozy with your besties? NP. Just tap on the icon in the upper right or swipe left to open Room Settings. Then scroll to the Room Privacy section.
To set your Room to Private, tap on the "Private" heading. This will set your discoverability setting to "Secret" and Access to "Invite Only," so that only people with an invitation can join. This is how you keep the chat low-key.
What’s Party Mode?
When the group chat is lit and you know everyone should be there, put it in Party Mode. It’s the best way to get all your friends (and all of their friends) into a room, fast. Party Mode is the most open Room setting.
When you activate Party Mode, the following changes happen to the room's settings:
- The Doorbell enters "super" mode. This means that each time a new member enters the room, they’ll trigger a room invite to all of their friends, automagically. Woah.
- Room Visibility is set to Everyone, which means it will display in user profiles.
- Room Accessibility is set to Open, which means no permission required to join.
TIP: The "Party" banner on the rooms list indicates that a Room is in Party Mode. That means there's something good happening in there, so hop in!
To turn Party Mode ON (so everyone can let their friends know when they’re there):
- Enter the Room.
- Tap on the Room title to open Room Settings. Or tap on the members icon in the upper right of the Room and tap on the Settings option (gear icon) in the bottom right of the members list. Under Room Privacy, tap PARTY MODE.
- A message will post in the Room to let other members know that you have turned on Party Mode.
Just so you know, here's what happens when you enter a room that has Party Mode turned on:
- The countdown begins! Ten seconds after you enter any room that’s in Party Mode, all your friends on Airtime get a "super" doorbell notification. This notification acts as an invite to the room, and will appear as an invite from you to all of your friends on Airtime.
To turn Party Mode OFF:
- Enter the Room.
- Tap on the Room title to open Room Settings. Or tap on the members icon in the upper right of the Room and tap on the Settings option (gear icon) in the bottom right of the members list.
- Under Room Privacy click on either PRIVATE or CUSTOM.
- A message will post in the Room to let other members know that you have changed the privacy settings.